Simple disk cache for things like Sinatra which is implemented much like Memcached in hopes that in some cases they're interchangeable.
I created Diskcached as a simple cacheing layer for things like html fragments and database calls. I thought about using memcached, but as the app I was working on was running on a single server, it seemed overkill. Additionally, I looked at using rack-cache, but I felt it was a bit more complex then I was looking for. So Diskcached was born (although it was originally released as "simple_disk_cache" -- for about 12 hours).
To the comment: "I'm not clear how memcached on a single server is overkill."
- In some cases -- e.g. Dreamhost shared hosting and Heroku (I believe) -- it is difficult, if not impossible to install memcached. This is for those situations.
- In all cases, disk space is cheaper than memory. For example, when I used myhosting.com, which charges $1 per 20G of disk storage and $1 per 512MB of memory. So in my case, I use Diskcached instead of memcached and my memory foot print is ~300MB. While at the moment, I could very easily handle running memcached without running out of memory, using disk based cacheing allows me to scale much further before having to upgrade my hosting package. Additionally, if you check out my blogs performance metrics, you'll see that Diskcached brought me from ~140ms render times, to ~1ms render times, allowing me to scale even further.
To the comment: "If you need memcache...then use it."
- I totally agree!
gem install diskcached
Or with Bundler:
source :rubygems gem 'diskcached'
require 'diskcached' @diskcache = Diskcached.new result = @diskcache.cache('expensive_code') do # some expensive code end puts result
The above will create the cache if it doesn't exist and cache the result of block and return it. If the cache exists and isn't expired, it will read from the cache and return what's stored. This allows you to passively wrap code in a cache block and not worry about checking to see if it's valid or expired.
Also worth noting, it will return
nil if something goes wrong.
Using Diskcached like this should allow for a "drag and drop" replacement of Memcached, should you so decide.
require 'diskcached' @diskcache = Diskcached.new begin result = @diskcache.get('expensive_code') rescue # Diskcached::NotFound # prevents easy replacement, but is safer. result = run_expensive_code @diskcache.set('expensive_code', result) end puts result
It's important to note that Diskcached is quite a bit simpler then Memcached and in some ways more forgiving. If Memcached compatibility is really important, refer to Memcached docs as well as Diskcached docs when implementing your code.
Diskcached wasn't designed to be a faster solution, just a simpler one when compared to Memcached. However, from these benchmarks, it holds up will and even should provide slightly faster reads.
On a development machine (Unicorn w/ 1 worker) I ran a series of httperf tests to see how Diskcached ran in real world situations. You can checkout the full output from multiple examples here, but there's a taste...
Using the endpoint http://mervine.net/ on my dev server and hitting it 100,000 times --
15 configure do ... 44 $diskcache = Diskcached.new(File.join(settings.root, 'cache')) 45 $diskcache.flush # ensure caches are empty on startup 46 end ... 58 before do ... 61 @cache_key = cache_sha(request.path_info) 62 end ... 231 get "/" do 232 begin 233 raise Diskcached::NotFound if authorized? 234 content = $diskcache.get(@cache_key) 235 logger.debug("reading index from cache") unless authorized? 236 rescue Diskcached::NotFound 237 logger.debug("storing index to cache") unless authorized? 238 content = haml(:index, :layout => choose_layout) 239 $diskcache.set(@cache_key, content) unless authorized? 240 end 241 content 242 end
httperf --client=0/1 --server=localhost --port=9001 --uri=/ --send-buffer=4096 --recv-buffer=16384 --num-conns=100000 --num-calls=1 httperf: warning: open file limit > FD_SETSIZE; limiting max. # of open files to FD_SETS Maximum connect burst length: 1 Total: connections 100000 requests 100000 replies 100000 test-duration 744.646 s Connection rate: 134.3 conn/s (7.4 ms/conn, <=1 concurrent connections) Connection time [ms]: min 1.9 avg 7.4 max 398.8 median 4.5 stddev 10.5 Connection time [ms]: connect 0.1 Connection length [replies/conn]: 1.000 Request rate: 134.3 req/s (7.4 ms/req) Request size [B]: 62.0 Reply rate [replies/s]: min 116.6 avg 134.3 max 147.2 stddev 6.1 (148 samples) Reply time [ms]: response 6.9 transfer 0.5 Reply size [B]: header 216.0 content 105088.0 footer 0.0 (total 105304.0) Reply status: 1xx=0 2xx=100000 3xx=0 4xx=0 5xx=0 CPU time [s]: user 287.88 system 115.60 (user 38.7% system 15.5% total 54.2%) Net I/O: 13818.2 KB/s (113.2*10^6 bps) Errors: total 0 client-timo 0 socket-timo 0 connrefused 0 connreset 0 Errors: fd-unavail 0 addrunavail 0 ftab-full 0 other 0